Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Not so perfect Husband...

So in order to not scream and yell at dear hubby, you all can hear about his oh so fantastic actions yesterday. I will start this with saying that on average he is fantastic, but yesterday... all bets are off on the fantasticness. I will give him a chance to redeam himself, and I am sure he will.

Let me give you a little synopsis for his day yesterday.
He went to work. Did some paperwork, finished some reports, talked to a few important people on the phone. After lunch he spent the remainder of the day at the shooting range. Tough day I am sure.

Here was my day.
Princess woke up to hubby leaving in the morning. She proceeded to cry because he was gone. I apparently looked like a climbing toy or at least a mother monkey because she wouldn't let go of me all day. Little man needed to take a nap but princess disagreed. So when I went to the bathroom the good idea fairy jumped on her shoulder and told her to go in and scare her brother half to death by waking him up. Lunch time came around and none of the 5 things she asked for would do. She discovered she knew where the juice boxes were and how to open them herself. She decided that she didn't need to take a nap and once again her brother didn't need to either. So once again, she went in and woke him up while I was peeing.
She then proceeded to get another juice box out but this time it was oh so imperative that she wash the coffee table with juice.
I was kicked, pinched, slapped and pushed. She got time outs and I remained calm throughout the day.
Hubby called to say he was going to be late and wanted to BBQ for dinner. BBQ? It is November for goodness sakes! Whatever.
Coals were lit, princess was mad, and I had just about had my limit.
I was trying to remain calm through dinner where she refused to eat anything, and she decided that uncooked mac and cheese is what she so desperately needed. I don't think so.

Bed time came around and it was like something from the Exorcist. 45 minutes of sheer terror. It finally ended with two fits, one from princess and one from my 2 year old in a 27 year old body (hubby), not helping the situation. After finally setting her in the shower and turning it on, she snaps out of it and apologises to Daddy.
What? Daddy gets the apology? What?!?!

So after she finally goes to bed he is sitting on the couch upset that it went one for the 2 hours he had been home. (Seriously?)

But here comes the icing on the cake, and I am actually quite proud of myself for biting my tongue and not completely losing it like I wanted to.

"You know honey that really isn't very pleasant to come home to. I was having a great day until I got home. I would really like it if the kids would be happy when I got here."

I didn't know whether to laugh or throw the recliner at him... I still don't think he knows just what he did to me with that. I will tell him when I am done wanting to shake him. So today, when he gets home, I am going to be showered, dressed, with make up on and a smile.

Not for his sake, but because I am going to leave the second he walks through the door, and go get my nails done...

P.S. Did I mention Princess was up until 1:30am? Yeah and by 11:30pm he was frustrated so he went out and slept in the man room.

I suppose people can't be perfect all the time but this one was a doozey! Needless to say I needed to read Alida's post yesterday. It calmed me down to the point where I didn't scream.
I love him to death but seriously....?
This is why God made mothers, because without us the world would be a scary place.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear...let me first start off by saying, I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! Proud of you for not losing it on Ava, proud of you for putting up with all the abuse we mothers have to succumb to throughout the day, proud of you for NOT HITTING HIM UPSIDE THE HEAD WITH A 2 X 4!!!

I, on the other hand, would have completely lost it and only made matters worse - much worse!

And their comments...they have NO idea what we go through on a daily basis and to expect their house to be like Good Housekeeping 1945...well, they have another thing coming!

Good for you! Go get your nails done and stay gone for a couple of hours afterwards and just be sooo...well...NICE to him when he calls and is wondering where you are and what time you'll be home.

Love ya girl!

Ona said...

I had one of those days yesterday as well. Got my hair colored today and went and worked out. It was nice to have a few hours to myself. You deserve some time to yourself. Have fun!!!

Lion Heart said...

oh kim you poor thing! i can't believe ava gave you such a hard day! kids-sometimes they just push their limits. husbands-sometimes they do to! i'm glad you didn't lose it! your a strong women! it was wise that you took sometime to yourself today! i hope you have a happy thanksgiving! and i hope we can get together sometime soon! i'm sure it won't be to long before you need another break! i know i need one about once a week!

Alida said...

My sister has a method for dealing with these types of situations.(I'm not endorsing it, I'm just sharing, because I think it's funny.) When ever her husband makes a crack like that, she transfers $20.00 out of his account and puts it in her savings!

Her reasoning is, "If he is going to make demands like an employer, than I should get paid!"

I'll say she hasn't done it since she started working, mostly because she is no longer taken for granted and also she doesn't have days like yours anymore.

Somedays I fanatasize about getting a really good paying jib and leaving HIM home with the kids!!!

It's over and even though the hurtful words linger, you know deep down it wasn't meant to hurt you, he was just trying to "open up". I'm with you, WHATEVER!

Sharon said...

Those days are hard. I remember when my kids were little, realizing what a vastly different life my husband led than mine. I would get jealous and sometimes upset. It's so easy to fall into that frame of mind, especially when you've been used as a jungle gym and have been cleaning up messes all day. Know that you are doing a mighty work in your kids lives, a work that lasts for eternity. It's not in vain, even when it seems so tiring and trivial. Take care of yourself~"me-time" is very healthy. But also get a sitter and have romantic hubby-time, too! It's so refreshing to re-connect! I know a great sitter, too! : ) Hang in there! You're a great mom!

Mindy said...

Oh my! Zack doesn't say anything, he just gets this "attitude" when dishes are still in the sink from last night or the house is a disaster. He knows not to say anything! Audrey as a pain the other day and I told Zack I was going to ship her to Iraq so he could deal with her!